Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Fourth of July American Flag Tutorial

It's almost Fourth of July, so I thought I'd give my favorite subscribers and readers a little pictorial. Some of the pictures aren't crisp and clear like I want them to be, but this is my first ever pictorial so please be kind. Future ones will hopefully get better. So without further delay, let's get into the step by step for American flag nail art! :-)

(Complete Pictorial)


First step is to paint your nails with your white base coat. You can use whatever white you want, but I wanted my flag to be super Holo so I used Liquid Sky Lacquer's "White Christmas" for my base. Once you've painted your base, use a quick dry top coat to make sure that the striping tape doesn't pull up your polish. I used HK Girl Top coat by Glisten And Glow. Make sure you let that dry completely before going on to the next step.


Next step is to place a piece of striping tape diagonally across your nail. Make sure your tape is stuck down completely so that polish doesn't sneak in underneath it. Once your tape is in place like you want it, paint on your blue polish being careful not to cross over your tape. I used Liquid Sky Lacquer "Freedom Blue".


Next, remove the striping tape immediately before the polish dries to ensure that you have a nice crisp line. If you wait too long, the tape could pull up your polish and your straight line could end up a little wonky lol.


Next you want to dab a bit of your white polish on to some kind of pallette. I just used an old business card and put a small blob of polish on that. Use a small dotting tool dipped in to your white to create your "stars" over the blue polish. Once you've done that and let it dry a little, use your quick dry top coat again and let that dry completely before moving onto the next step.


Next, take another piece of striping tape going diagonally across your nail again. Align the edge of the tape closest to the white, with the blue polishes edge. This will make sure that your red and white stripes go right up to your blue polish.


This next step was the tedious part for me. My striping tape is really thin and I wanted my stripes a little bit thicker so I had to double up the tape for each individual stripe. If you do it this way, make sure that your two pieces of tape overlap slightly so that when you paint your red over it, you won't end up with a tiny thin red line in the middle of your white stripes.


Next step is to paint your red polish over your white polish. Make sure to not cross over the striping tape into your blue. I used Liquid Sky Lacquer "Sleigh Me" for my red.


Lastly, remove your striping tape immediately before it dries to ensure clean lines. Do your cleanup around the edges if you have any, and then top coat with your favorite top coat and you're done! 

I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial and that it gives you an idea for your Fourth of July manis! If you enjoyed it, please leave your feedback in the comments below, and let me know if you would like more pictorials in the future! You can purchase these polishes from Liquid Sky Lacquer's shop here if you like them. :) Well, that's all for now my loves! Until next time, happy polishing!

Instagram: @polishednshined











No comments:

Post a Comment